Signs You Have a Plumbing Emergency
You want your home and family to be safe rather than sorry. A plumbing situation can cause property damage and even health problems if you delay. Waiting is never worth it.
A plumbing emergency is when:
- Pipes are frozen
- Sewage is backed up
- There’s no water
- Your home is flooding, or there’s a risk of flooding
Signs you may have (or you’re about to have) a plumbing emergency include:
- Clogs: Slow-to-no draining that doesn’t respond to using a plunger needs attention sooner rather than later.
- Frozen pipes: We didn’t think that was much of an issue until February 2021. We also didn’t realize until then how many Texans think a blowtorch is a logical fix for a frozen pipe (it isn’t). Call Staggs Plumbing, and we’ll tell you what to do until we can get there because a lot depends on which pipes are frozen, the material(s) from which they are made, and where they are located.
- Strange smells: Never ignore a gas odor, no matter where it comes from. Call the gas company if you smell gas around your plumbing appliances (toilet, shower/bath, dishwasher, laundry, etc.). If you know where the turnoff valve is located, turn off the gas. Then call Staggs Plumbing.
- Gurgling: This is a red flag that an emergency is on its way, so don’t wait. When in use, if you hear gurgling from the toilet, shower/bath, dishwasher, or laundry area, your plumbing system is about to back up. If you hear gurgling and you aren’t using these appliances, that’s an emergency.
- Running water: If you can hear running water when everything is off, you likely have a leak. You might see wet/damp spots on the floor, walls, or ceiling. When a water leak is actively damaging your home, call before it becomes a structural danger.
- Sewage smell: This is more dangerous than most people know. If you smell sewage, it’s already an emergency, so call right away.
Septic plumbing problems can send airborne bacteria throughout your home. Mold spores from plumbing leaks can threaten your health and be especially problematic for infants, the elderly, or family members with chronic illnesses.
Wastewater can carry bacteria, viruses, parasites, and hazardous pathogens that can cause:
- Abdominal cramps
- Bacillary dysentery
- Skin, eye, and respiratory infections
Plumbing pipes run under your floors, above your ceilings, behind your walls, so one “little leak” can cause a significant amount of property damage if it isn’t caught in time. Water damage can occur behind walls or underneath carpets.
Septic issues are plumbing emergencies. Call Staggs Plumbing now at (972) 833-8660 for emergency septic service in Plano.
You can’t fix what you don’t know about, so always watch for signs you have a plumbing leak:
- The sound of running water or gurgling
- Higher monthly water bills
- Lawn overgrowth or unusual greening
- Mold and mildew
- Strange odors
- Peeling wallpaper
- Wall cracks
- Water pressure drops and difficulty getting a steady flow of water in the shower or sink
- Water stains on ceilings and/or walls
- Wet or damp floors
If you suspect you have any kind of plumbing leak, contact us before it becomes an emergency. And if you think it’s an emergency, it likely is. Call (972) 833-8660 Staggs Plumbing as soon as possible.
Everyone was very professional and did their best to accommodate any requests we had. They can in to fix a leaky kitchen sink and ended up helping us with 2 faucets, our tub, and a toilet handle. April and Nick were awesome!Aurora B.